This module is developed for students who are interested in learning about the opportunities and threats existing within the franchise world. The module outlines franchising as one developmental model that may be used by business owners to minimise risks. Explored from both the perspectives of a franchisee as well as a franchisor, this module will discuss the applicability, opportunities, challenges and implementation of the franchising model for expanding existing businesses.
Intrapreneurship (Corporate Entrepreneurship – CE) is the practice of entrepreneurial skills and approaches by or within an organization. This course will examine the challenges and opportunities for both employees and companies in creating and maintaining a culture that fosters intrapreneurial endeavours. The module is designed to famialiarise students with the importance of good management practices in fostering the development and competitiveness of firms through intrapreneurship. Students should also have a greater understanding and appreciation of the role that they can play in enhancing the creativity, competitiveness and success of established firm while enjoying greater satisfaction as an employee. Students are exposed to the areas and on which a business should focus and the approaches which may be taken in order to allow employees to develop as Intrapreneurs.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
1. Understand the historical relevance and concepts of corporate entrepreneurship (intra-preneurship).
2. Evaluate the reasons why traditionally - organized firms find this culture so challenging.
3. Identify the elements of a corporate culture that either inhibit or support the process of Intrapreneurship.
4. Analyze how intrapreneurial activities relate to a firm’s ability to drive innovation throughout the organization.
5. Compare the attributes of various organizations regarded as leaders of Intrapreneurship and analyze the benefits of such.
6. Understand the synergy necessary between leadership, corporate culture, structure and organizational dynamics to drive successful Intrapreneurship.
7. Construct a model of an organization’s intrapreneurial activities and characteristics to be used as a reference tool in its development.
The following methodology will be used:
- Review of concepts: lectures, case studies, tutorial exercises, text and assigned readings and research.
- Practicing and applying concepts: case studies and group exercises, debates and discussions.
International Entrepreneurship explores the options available to entrepreneurs to operate outside of their local jurisdiction, including exporting; licensing arrangements, agency arrangements; production and operations in the overseas market and so on! Exposure to trade agreements, tariffs and common market jurisdictions will also be explored.
This module provides an opportunity for students to integrate and apply knowledge and skills gained from participation in required modules up to level three. Students will be expected to interact with businesses and conduct research which will involve confronting a variety of contemporary business issues and dilemmas and as a result will learn how to develop appropriate business solutions and/or recommendations to address those challenges. This will culminate in a one-day symposium which will be organized and conducted by students and facilitated by the Module tutor who will act in an advisory capacity.
This Module, builds on Entrepreneurial Ventures I and takes participants through key stages of implementation of a business plan for an entrepreneurial venture. It will enable students to consider and treat with practical issues in implementing the plan and growing the venture. The Module seeks to develop participants’ competence in managing critical relationships with key stakeholders in the process of venture establishment and development. Participants will integrate the principles and concepts learnt during the course of the degree as they will be starting and operating an actual business venture. or be otherwise engaged with a start-up venture.
Learning to start and operate successful small businesses